Beautiful charred cauliflower florets paired with a skinny smooth sausage sauce, this recipe is perfect even for cauliflower haters!
Cauliflower is available all year round from most supermarkets and farm shops. It’s also a very healthy vegetable that contains many nutrients, is high in fibre and a a good source of antioxidants.
If you’re vegetarian, you can replace the sausage with a good quality vegan sausage instead -and it still tastes delicious!
Cauliflower & Sausage Spaghetti
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 250g spaghetti
- Olive oil
- 150g sausage, skin removed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 15g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 75ml white wine
- Parmesan (optional)
- Black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil ready for the spaghetti.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, add the sausage and the cauliflower florets with a drizzle of olive oil and cook on a medium heat until the sausage and the florets are nicely browned and starting to caramelise. Use a wooden spoon to break down the sausage into small pieces while cooking.
- Add the mushroom and cook for a few minutes still on a medium heat, then add the shallot and cook further for a few more minutes.
- Add the garlic and oregano. Add an extra drizzle of olive oil if needed. Stir everything together and cook for another minute being careful not to burn the garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the white wine to the pan and cook off the alcohol for a few minutes. Reduce the liquid by half and then remove from the heat.
- Generously salt the water for the spaghetti and cook the pasta for one minute less than stated in the instructions. Save about 50ml of the starchy water from the spaghetti and set to one side.
- Bring the saucepan back to a medium heat. Once the pasta is cooked, transfer the spaghetti straight to the saucepan with the cauliflower and sausage. Toss well to combine, add the chopped parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and some of the pasta water. Stir well and add pasta water until you have a nice and silky consistency.
- Serve with shaved Parmesan and serve immediately.