Start your festive feast in style with this beef carpaccio salad for four people. The secret to a truly stunning carpaccio lies in the sharpness of your knife, a vital tool in achieving the desired slivers of meat. Good quality beef is another important investment, as the flavour of the meat is largely left to speak for itself with minimal flavours and seasonings. As the majority of the preparation can be done the day before, this carpaccio recipe makes a fantastic dinner party starter that can be sliced up and served within minutes.
- 230g beef tenderloin (fillet)
- 30g pine nuts
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated or thinly sliced
- 60g mixed salad leaves
- handful basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Wrap the beef tenderloin tightly in cling film and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. The meat won’t freeze, but it will become firm, so you can cut it easily into wafer thin slices.
- While the meat is in the freezer, heat a dry frying pan and roast the pine nuts for 3 minutes. Keep tossing them in the pan to avoid burning. The nuts are ready when golden brown in colour. Set aside to cool.
- Create a dressing by mixing the mayonnaise with the lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, remove the beef from the fridge and cut into thin slices with a sharp knife and divide it between the four plates. Drizzle with the dressing and scatter over the parmesan cheese. Top each plate with salad leaves and basil, and finally sprinkle over the roasted pine nuts.